Phishing….Pharming…Skimming…..these are just a few of the many methods used by fraudsters to trick you into providing them your debit card and personal information. Unfortunately, fraud attacks are on the increase. At HomeTown Bank, we are committed to helping you keep your debit card and account information safe. Following are several tips to help minimize your exposure to debit card fraud.
- Sign the signature panel as soon as you receive your card. Writing “Please See ID” is not a replacement for a signature. Your signature not only helps protect your card from fraud, but it is required by Visa and Master Card.
- Choose a PIN that is unique and known only to you. Do not use 1234, 1111, 2222, etc. These are some of the first ones a fraudster will try as many people do use simple combinations for ease of memorization.
- Be sure to never share your PIN with anyone. When entering it at a POS (Point of Sale), block anyone standing nearby from seeing your PIN. Also, do not write your PIN on your card or carry it with the card.
- Make a copy of the front and back of your card and put it in a safe place. You will then have easy access to the phone numbers to call and the card information in the event of the card being lost or stolen.
- Be sure to ask for and keep all receipts. As soon as you receive your bank statement, check the receipts against the items posted on your statement. If you do find a discrepancy, notify the bank immediately.
- Be cautious when using your debit card for online purchases. Make sure the company is reputable before sharing your debit card information.
- NEVER respond to any e-mail message asking you to confirm or validate personal or account information, no matter how legitimate the email may appear.
- Beware of “free trial offers”. The majority of free offers require you to give them a credit card, debit card, or account/bank information to pay the shipping and handling. In the fine print, you are most likely agreeing to have them ship future orders and charge them to the card/account.
You can be a victim of fraud when you least expect it. Your best defense is to be proactive and react quickly in the event you do discover debit card fraud.
If at any time, you have any questions regarding security of your debit card, or possible fraud, please contact our customer service representatives at your local HomeTown Bank branch or via email at email@example.com.